Me, The Guitar And Dementia

 A year and a half ago, when I found out I had cancer of the prostate, I packed up all of my guitars (drums were already in their cases) thinking to save my wife the trouble when "The Day" gets here.

I had forgotten all about some wonderfully talented friends of mine who can play rings around me on guitar (well, to be fair - I'm primarily a drummer) and can write a song at the drop of a hat. One of those friends -  James,  just needs a subject and off he goes! They all downplay their talents to the point of being aggravating, but I understand: they are artists in it for the love of playing and singing. They're not in it for the money, in other words.

Recently, I asked them to write me a song about "Goals" (to call attention to the upcoming Walk To End Alzheimer's), and damned if they didn't come through for me within three days!

I asked Jim for permission to feature his song here and with your permission and because I was so touched by what he wrote, I would like to share it with you.

The future reaches out, while the past retrieves
Our memories are just tangled webs we weave
The mind plays games, and sure loves to deceive
it might not be true, but it’s what I’ve come to believe

time is so elusive, it always finds somehow to slip away
like a rainbow disappearing on a rainy summer’s day
nothing lasts forever, but I hope we’ll meet again someday
and let the love we’ve shared take us home , but who can say

chorus
the best of me may be hidden, but it’s far from gone
but it sure does get harder as every  year now adds on
know that inside my mind there’s still something good going on
please see the sparkle in my eyes, and know, I ain’t nearly done

Jim


I hope this has as much meaning to you as it does to me. By way of background, Jim is a teacher and pushes creativity among his students.

Please join us in our Walk To End Alzheimer's . The link will take you to my team's page and more information.

Thanks for reading and thank you, Jim!


Bill

Comments

Beth H said…
That's Beautiful. I wish I could hear the tune.

Popular posts from this blog

Skipping Ahead A Bit In The Memoirs

My EOAD Support FORCE

President Biden Plans To End Covid Emergency On May 11th