"I Just HAD It!!!!!"

 Ever lose something you had 15 seconds ago? 

Yeah, me too. I do it all the time, and that title up there is what I say - in a very exasperated tone of voice - when it happens. Sometimes I say something more, but I'll leave that to your imagination.

My problem is focusing. Is that an Alzheimer's Dementia symptom? Or is it just because I'm 71?

It can be a symptom. It may be one of the 10 signs you're getting into the territory where you can hide your own Easter eggs.  I won't list them all here but I'll concentrate on the one that's bothering me the most: this one (focus). I'll provide a link to the other 9 at the bottom of this entry. It will be courtesy of the Alzheimer's Association, which always provides a wealth of information. I urge you to go to their site alz.org and bookmark it.

All kidding aside though, things I once enjoyed, I now have to force myself to do.

I just now turned to look at my 6 string guitar. I need to practice my scales, but by the time I reach for it, the desire to play has left me. 

I'm a gamer - World Of Warcraft - and though I once spent 8 hours a day playing, now I force myself to sign on. I try to tell myself it's because the game is getting harder and more involved to play, but nah - copout. I just don't have the desire.

The only thing I don't blow off are my chores: I gather and take out the trash, I put the dishes away, I vacuum floors, and if I have time and the place needs it, I also dust.

Why can I focus on those things and nothing that really is supposed to give me pleasure to do? Easy - my wife tells me those are the things which need doing. So I do them.

At the present time, I really don't have a psychiatrist who is helping me through this period of not being able to concentrate, but I hope to change that in September. Up to now, I've been seeing Nurse Practitioners specializing in Psychiatry who have been using what I call a "scatter-gun" approach to treating me, and that's got to stop. Some of the meds I have been prescribed had terrible side effects and, since there was no one to advise me, I titrated (weaned) myself off them. I do not recommend doing this on your own, and the only reason I did was because of my medical background.

I will report on my visit with my new psychiatrist after my first visit with him/her.

For now, thanks for reading my journal, as always and enjoy your day!

The 10 Symptoms Of Alzheimer's Dementia

The Walk To End Alzheimer's




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skipping Ahead A Bit In The Memoirs

My EOAD Support FORCE

President Biden Plans To End Covid Emergency On May 11th