New Doc

As I wrote in my last entry, we finished the ride and I have written a synopsis which has been edited and formatted by my friend BillDL of Scotland and is visible now. Just click on the title line above to take you there. Maybe you'll find it interesting, and once again, sincere thanks to Bill and Becks for all you did for us!



But that's not what this blog is about: I have a new doctor. He is a geriatric psychiatrist and my first appointment was on the 20th of this month. The and I have a great rapport - much better than the last one and he made some changes in my psychotropic meds. I am very grateful to my friend and counsellor Suzette for setting this up for me.

So what did he do and say?

Well first he asked about my symptoms, and they're still short-term memory loss related to my depression, so he increased my Welbutrin from 150 to 300 mg a day. I am also still on the Lamiktal - 150 mg one per day.

One thing D reminded me of is about a month ago I had a very weird (I suppose you'd call it hallucinatory) episode: I was approaching D's desk where she was sitting at her computer, looked up and saw what I thought was a cat sitting over her on a shelf, and said "I hope this cat is just here temporarily" (we already have one cat - Bert).

She said, "Huh?", and when I looked again - closer - I saw it was a picture of a cat on a calendar. Very embarrassing and I told my new doc about it. He had no comment, but asked me if I was after getting SSDI for my illness and I answered "yes".

Then he said something I had never heard from another doc. He said: "Well, we have to show them (SSDI) that we're trying and have tried everything to get you better or at least slow down or arrest your disease, so I'm going to up your meds and there's something else I want you to consider: ECT (electro-shock therapy). it doesn't have the stigma it once did, and is done with you under general anesthesia - in the beginning three times a week."

There followed a Q&A about the procedure and we decided I would try the upped dose of Welbutrin for three weeks and call him and tell him if I were better, so that's what we will do.

I contacted my lawyers and informed them of the new doc and they took the information and will get in touch with him.

So that's it for this entry. I know that ECT is a very controversial procedure and the doc told me they did 20 just that morning. I have mixed emotions and will faithfully follow the Welbutrin regimen for now.

Thanks,

Bill



Please click to feed the animals - thanks.

The Animal Rescue Site

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skipping Ahead A Bit In The Memoirs

My EOAD Support FORCE

President Biden Plans To End Covid Emergency On May 11th