So you've read my words, you know my fears and my experiences, but what about my "symptoms"? Here is a short list of what I have noticed myself. I have yet to ask others what they have seen.
Alzheimer's symptoms so far:
1. Short-term memory loss (dry cleaning will be in plain view and I will still walk out without it, despite having told myself just minutes before that I need to take it with me)
2. Loss of words (even very common ones) during conversations
3. Inappropriate speech
4. Aimless walking around either at home or on the job.
5. Forgetting of appointments
6. Inability to think logically (would have ordered a piece of furniture which did not match what is already here)
7. Misplacing objects, unable to find them in their usual locations and thinking they may have been stolen. This often includes money or a passport or even car keys
8. Inability to retain even short pieces of written material
10. Little or no emotion. Passive-aggressive behavior
11. Inability to focus on any one thing for any period of time.
12. When driving (and this is a biggie) I will sometimes make a turn, look in the rear view mirror, see a car almost on my bumper, and ask myself, "Did you just turn right in front of that guy???" In other words, "second guessing" myself.
That's just a few things, and really just "off the cuff". I am sure that if I set my mind to it (focused in other words) I could come up with more.
In a future entry, now that "the cat's out of the bag", so to speak, I will ask others to make a list.
Feel free to comment on any of these, and enjoy your day.