Thursday, November 6, 2014

"How Was Your Vacation, Bill?" PART II

So.... to continue..... One thing that didn't suck were my Airlines, United and Air Berlin. Even though they lost my luggage, I have to give them points for the way I was cared for. From Atlanta to Nuremberg there was someone at every gate to greet me and accompany to my next leg of my trip and I am so happy they were there, because without them, I would never have made it to Germany and back on time. The only thing I hated was having to ride in a wheelchair. There's nothing at all wrong with me physically and my legs were in good enough shape to run a 10k with no problems, but they insisted. This caused some stares and mean looks, but as I said long ago, I don't know what time is left to me and I sure don't want to spend it worrying about what people think.


Three days after my arrival, my son called and left a message with my friend Peter: Dondra had fallen here at home and had broken her arm. This relates back to the cellulitis she is dealing with since someone ran over her right foot at the grocery store with one of those electric shopping carts. At the same time as the broken arm, the fall also caused her to lose two of her crowns.


Should I cut my trip short and come home? My son assured me all was being taken care of and I should stay and enjoy my trip.


Right. "Enjoy your trip, Dad."


How could I do that now? I did my best every day I was there. Did some shopping, mostly for Dondra and our son Jason as well as my grandson Julian and the grandkids of my brother. For myself I bought only one thing: cotton swabs. Before you think I've totally lost it, in Germany they make cotton swabs that are just a little bit less rounded with cotton than they are here in the US. That means I can stick them into my ears (being careful not to go too far in) and clear out the wax of which I have more than the "Average Bear". Don't lecture me, okay? I stick the swab in and twirl it, I do not shove it in and go back and forth.


There was something different about this trip as well, and I don't mean the aforementioned trials and tribulations. It just didn't feel right. Was it my age, I wondered. Had my friends and family changed in their feelings towards me? I couldn't put my finger on it then and I still can't today.


Back to the three cousins for a moment. That was a time I can't get out of my mind. Instead of speaking in a normal tone of voice, they yelled at each other. There were three cousins, their husbands and children and one next door neighbor who came over for coffee, cake and beer. As the beer settled in, the voices got louder and louder and it didn't help that the kids (3 toddlers) began their caterwauling.


I tried to make conversation, I really did, but as the afternoon wore on, I knew only one thing: I had to get out of there!. So about 2 hours into the visit I told the husband of the cousin whose house it was that I had a prior commitment and needed to get going. So he gets pissed off and a couple of the kids of the cousins (2nd cousins?) took me back to Rothenburg and my hotel. With two more days to go, I'll save telling you about those for part III. ============================================================ ============================================================ ============================================================ ============================================================ Thanks for helping to feed the animals! See you next time! ----- Bill The Animal Rescue Site

No comments: